Monday 16 April 2012

Best Birthday Yet

It isn't often that I receive phone calls from Ontario so needless to say I was curious when the area code popped up on my cell phone. I had been entering the MTV Canada and Sony Music flyaway contest to see The Shins in Las Vegas for probably about two weeks, every day. Not that I expected to win though.
I answered the phone with my tried and true customer service voice (you know the one, its about an octave higher than regular) hoping that I wouldn't have some kind of telemarketer telling me "this is your captain speaking".
"Hello" I said.
"Hi, is this Kim Phillips?" said a nice sounding lady on the other line. This seemed promising.
"Yes, I'm Kim"
"Hi Kim, I'm calling from MTV Canada. Do you remember entering a contest to go to Vegas and see The Shins?"
OH MY GOD HOLY MOTHER OF MAN I SURE DO REMEMBER ENTERING I ENTERED EVERY DAY!..... "Yes, I do think I remember"
"Well I am here to tell you that you won! I see it was your birthday yesterday, happy birthday!"
There was no more keeping my cool. "OH MY GOSH. HOLY. OH. REALLY?"
"Yes! Can you go this Friday? Do you have someone you can take?"
"I think so! YES. Of course yes. Okay. Yes."
By this time I was just sitting in the middle of my bed shaking. The homework I had been attempting to do was not going to get accomplished, I could guarantee that.
It went from there in a whirlwind sort of fashion. The nice lady on the phone basically became my best friend and we corresponded through email making sure that we could set everything up for Friday.
What did I win? Well. Round trip airfare for two to Vegas, leaving Friday and returning Sunday. 500 dollars spending money and 2 tickets to see the Shins at the Cosmopolitan Hotel, and two nights stay at Caesars Palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment