Tuesday 4 February 2014

Report Cards

Report Cards are only fun if you are in Grade 4 and Grandma gives you a toonie for every A you receive.

 Even then, it depends.

Why am I on my blog when I could be productive and edit the last of my report comments? The answer to that question is quite simple.

My head may explode.

Grades are so superficial. I think the one thing we (as teachers) should mark is effort and participation. That is how kids learn. If they don't try, if they don't buy in--they don't retain any knowledge.

I just want to send a quick note to parents once a month being like "Yo. Your kid listens really well and she also gave a girl a hug when they were sad. It was pretty top drawer of her."

Isn't that enough? Why should I spend 20 hours over my weekend giving numerical value to each and every assignment a kid hands in? What does that number matter?

But I'm a hypocrite, really. When I was in University there were some ungraded courses. I hated them. "Why should I put in maximum effort if all I get is a pass or a fail?" I said. "Why not scrape by if that is all I require to move on?" I said.

I am a Grade junkie. Yet I want something better for my students. I want something better for my kids, if I have them.

I want school to be about the friggen journey, not the grade at the end of the tunnel.

1 comment:

  1. And this is why you will be (and are already) an extraordinary teacher.

    ReplyDelete